4.01.2008

Deertick and The Dodo's

Monday evening, March 31st. I spent a long lasting rainy day wandering the puddled streets on New York City. The day was filled with two tedious auditions (which included me not getting a booty short memo, sweet), the rest of the day was waiting for the Deertick/Dodo's show. After killing a lot of time, visiting the MOMA and taking full advantage of the couches in some of the galleries, the night was to begin. I met Nick and we traveled up to Harlem to meet up with Greg. After a couple of beers, a footlong subway, 1 large chocolate chip cookie, and a lot of Rhapsody ; we finally headed down to Brooklyn to see some sweet music.

Entering the "venue" near the Save Domino lights, off the Bedford stop in Brooklyn, we were ready. I call it "venue" because it was quite a small place. Divide your local Elks club by 2, add a table with a 30 of Busch behind it, a nudee 70's film projected on a wall, plus indoor smoking privaleges = where we were. It fit well though. I appreciated it only after I complained of the smoke, got over it, quit my wahwahwah-ing, drank a Sparks, and took a "chillaxative" if you will.


Anyway to the music: Deertick. If you like their sounds through your computer speakers, you may very well like the sounds coming through their speakers live. With strept throat, hoodie up singer John McCauley took the stage along with drummer Dennish Ryan and bassist Chris Ryan. Beginning right away, they went right into the tunes with out any disappointment. Tackling album favorites with ease, a smooth voice, and awsome rock outs. I waited and waited for Dirty Dishes. When oh when will they play Dirty Dishes, you ask? Well I will tell you, it was proceeded by a snippett of All I Have to do is Dream, by the Everly Brothers. It went smoothly into that guitar part that you can't help but appreciate for it's simplicity and ear catching appeal. They continued to jam to a boisterous energetic yelping (Nick) crowd with Diamond Rings (which made me melt into my girlie pants), Spend the Night, Art Isn't Real, and even a short cover of La Bamba!! All equally as raw, and still fantastically real and amazing.
Peep some pics


rest stop on the way

deertick



a helluva guitar

a prissing sight

a good find on the street

made friends during the Dodo's!

Ah yes the Dodo's. No photos. Unfortunately for me, I am very short. Fortunately for the Dodo's, it was packed for their set. Which included a very tall blonde miss in front of me, which was what i saw for their entire set. Thank you tall girl for my photo lackage. I must say, I spent more time prepping for Deertick; so I am not very familiar with Dodo joints. With that in mind, I still felt awsome energy from the stage, the crowd, a couple in love and dancing the whole entire time to my right, and two man friends of mine rocking out hard core. They pleased the crowd, fantastic job to them. If you want to check out some of their tunes you can find them on the SickJerks player..do it.

keep your eyes peeled for april music mania month! holler!

No comments: